Friday, September 7, 2012

Wish You Were Here--Harvest 2012


Welcome to the Machine



The harvest of 2012 is complete.  A typical harvest in most respects--fought some fire, fixed things broken, fought off flying hoards of insects, slept too little and ate too much.  But this harvest was very different in one major way--it was our first harvest without my dad.  This farm's first harvest without him in 92 years.



Delicate Sound of Thunder


  
Us and Them



I spent the first days of harvest on a swather, cutting down the wheat before the insects did, and putting it into windrows.  I spent four full 16 hour days listening to Pink Floyd non-stop, thanks to the Pink Floyd channel on satellite radio, as well as my own collection of albums.  The jury is out as to whether or not I have permanently damaged my brain, or enhanced it.  It doesn't matter really, as long as I can refrain from quoting lyrics as if they are scripture.   However, I can confidently advise against repeated listenings of the Flamings Lips remake of Dark Side of the Moon.  





Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun




Heart Beat, Pig Meat













The Great Gig in the Sky



Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast



A Momentary Lapse of Reason




Brain Damage



The Final Cut



2012 Cast of Characters













Wish You Were Here